Aimo Moroni was born in 1934 in Pescia, Tuscany. At the end of the war in 1946, he came to Milan to seek his fortune. In 1955, with the help of Mamma Nunzia, a cook, he took over the kitchen in a restaurant in via Copernico. In 1957, Nadia, a childhood friend came to Milan, where she was to remain always, next to Aimo as his wife, and life-time work companion. In 1962, they set up and ran their own restaurant in via Montecuccoli, where “Il Luogo” remains even today. It was a simple restaurant, where Aimo and Nadia built their dream.
During those first years, they offered their clients a cuisine tied to their common origins, the land of Tuscany – of which they both knew well the history, products from where the original products they used came from. At the same time, they began to become familiar with foods from other regions, with which they created new dishes and various combinations. Those first years were difficult ones, where great lengths were taken towards finding their own way towards exalting those products that go hand in hand, discovering, using a unique way of giving value to the rich food and wine, a national patrimony, especially in those years of the haute cuisine of genuine French origins. Their voyage began to take shape and defining itself at the end of the 70’s, when also the press, following the growing Italian gastronomic critical journalism, discovered that little restaurant, writing: “It has created a great revolution.” Optimum raw materials, great respect for original flavours, a cooking that has goodness of ingredients as its central element, proposed in a non-traditional manner, but with respect for that quality which is expressed through their history, their geographic origins, the knowledge and caring in procuring them, up until the letting all their non-evident richness emerge, as happens only when good food reveals itself.
The 1980’s were years of great effervescence: all the work done in the previous years were showing ever-growing results, and their style of cooking helped them achieve the first important acknowledgement of the critics. Accordingly, the restaurant was renovated on several occasions, to offer a sense of greater hospitality, in coherence with the gastronomic menu proposed.
The 1990’s brought Aimo and Nadia’s daughter Stefania into the family business, while at the same time it marked the commencement of new activities that help spread the fame of this new style of cooking in Italy and abroad. Aimo and Nadia became known internationally as the ones who found the way of defining and proposing the rich Italian gastronomic culture in a truly innovative way. Also these years marked the collaboration with a friend, both scientist and artist, Paolo Ferrari and his ‘Centro Studio Assenza’, and the birth of the project of “Il Luogo”, still ongoing today.
The new millennium has started with a transition also for our restaurant, thanks to young and motivated professionals who are starting to collaborate with us, becoming in just a few years the people together with whom we will build the present and future of this historic place. Fabio Pisani and Alessandro Negrini in the kitchen, Nicola Dell’Agnolo and Alberto Piras, along with Stefania, are now the heart and soul of Il Luogo di Aimo e Nadia.
In 2014 Il Luogo di Aimo e Nadia became a member of the Relais&Chateaux association.